Performing and Interpreting Quality Assured Spirometry Level 6 module
Start Date: 28/05/2018
Study Day 1: 14/06/2018 09:00, 10 Church Street, The Athenaeum, Warwick, CV34 4AB
Study Day 2: 23/08/2018 09:00, 10 Church Street, The Athenaeum, Warwick, CV34 4AB
Last Date open for booking (unless course fills sooner): 23/05/2018
This Performing and Interpreting Quality Assured Spirometry module is designed for healthcare professionals who are responsible for performing, recording and interpreting spirometry.
Equipping you with the skills and knowledge necessary to achieve competence in this field and enabling you to assess your patients with confidence and effectively diagnose their respiratory disease if supported by clinical history.
Written by experts, developed with the ARTP and supported by the BTS, the course is delivered by eLearning supported by interactive study days. These provide practical support and problemsolving, with guided peer discussion and critical appraisal of the evidence around spirometry.
This module is accredited by The Open University and can be taken as a standalone course or as part of our BSc Honours Degree in Long Term Conditions.
Successful students will be entered on the ARTP National Register at Full Level, indicating that they are competent to perform and interpret spirometry.
You will learn:
- Pathophysiology of lung disease
- Trouble-shooting and pitfalls
- Cleaning & equipment maintenance
- Reference values
- Flow and volume measuring using spirometer devices
- Interpretation of values obtained
- Performance of dynamic lung volume
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Obtain accurate lung function tests
- Recognise normal and abnormal patterns and how they relate to diagnosis
- Understand the relationship between pathophysiology and measurements
- Define and explain common terms in measuring lung function
- Identify the essential pre-test requirements and correct patient testing
- Apply current guidelines and evidence underpinning testing
- Understand the need for correct methods of regular cleaning/maintenance
If you would rather undertake this course without academic credits, please undertake our Performing and Interpreting Quality Assured Spirometry eLearning course. This does not include an academic assignment or academic credits.
- Our study days are optional, although we advise you attend if you can as they are a great help to the eLearning and for networking with other students. However, your eLearning will not be compromised if you cannot attend the study days. The only exception to this is study day 2 for all spirometry modules – this is a practical assessment day and as such this is a compulsory element of your module.
- This module is delivered by blended learning, with study days to support the online course. Please note that if low numbers of students book onto this module we may cancel study days at short notice. If this is the case, students already registered will be contacted by our Student Support Team and offered alternative options.
- Our courses are removed from the website at least two days before the start date, so that students have all necessary information for their studies when they begin. Many of our courses fill quickly and are removed once all places are sold so we advise early booking to avoid disappointment.
Notional Study Time: 300 hours (including time to study learning materials, attend study days and complete assignment)
Assessment Method: Includes practical assessment day, submission of portfolio and 1,500 word assignment
Study Method: eLearning (supported by 1 study day and 1 assessment day)
Duration: 6 months
No. of Credits: 30
Accrediting Institution: The Open University
Module Specification: Download
Course Information Sheet: Download